The entire technical team of the Black Stars of Ghana was dissolved after suffering a shameful elimination from the group stages of the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations in Ivory Coast and Dr. Prosper Narteh Ogum and Ibrahim Tanko are tipped for the vacant assistant coach role.
The technical team of the Black Stars of Ghana was headed by Chris Hughton and supported by Didi Dramani and George Boateng as assistant coaches.
Following the dissolution of the technical team, the Ghana Football Association has announced the road map in search of the next coach to lead the Black Stars of Ghana in the coming days.
For the second time consecutively, Ghana has failed to qualify from the group stages of the Africa Cup of Nations.
In search of a new head coach for the Black Stars, the Ghana Football Association has set up a five-member committee mandated to search for the next head coach after Chris Hughton in the next three weeks.
Below are the five members mandated to search for the next Black Stars Coach:
1. Vice President of the Ghana Football Association Mark Addo.
2. Legal Practitioner and law lecturer Ace Ankomah (Esq.) will act as Vice Chairman of the search committee.
3. Director of Coaching Education of the GFA, Professor Joseph Kwame Mintah, Ghana football legend Opoku Nti, and William Caesar Kartey, Chief Director of the Ministry of Youth and Sports, as members.
Below are the Criteria the newly formed five-member committee will be looking for the select the next head coach of Ghana:
- Proven winner in men’s National Team or Club Football
- Proven track record in team reconstruction, organization, and development of young talent.
- Must hold the highest football license in the world with over 15 years of coaching experience
- Proven disciplinarian, tactician, and leadership skills.
However, Asante Kotoko Sporting Club’s head coach and Interim Management Member of Asante Kotoko Sporting, Dr. Prosper Narteh Ogum has appeared as a major candidate for the Assistant coach role together with Accra Lions Football Club technical director Ibrahim Tanko who was the assistant of James Kwesi Appiah during his days as the head coach of Ghana.
Moreover, Dr. Prosper Narteh Ogum went to the Africa Cup of Nations as a team scout for the Black Stars of Ghana. He won the Ghana Premier League for Asante Kotoko Sporting Club in the 2021/22 season before resigning from his position.
Dr. Prosper Narteh Ogum was reappointed ahead of the 2023/24 season and after the first round of the Ghana Premier League Asante Kotoko Sporting Club is third in the league table with twenty-nine points after seventeen games and also in the round 16 of the MTN FA Cup. They will face Karela United Football Club in the round 16 of the MTN FA Cup at the Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium.
Ibrahim Tanko also is the current head coach of the Black Meteors of Ghana and also doing impressive work with Accra Lions Football Club in the Ghana Premier League. Accra Lions Football Club accumulated twenty points of fifty-one available in the first round of the Ghana Premier League.
Dr. Prosper Narteh Ogum and Ibrahim Tanko have proven in the local scene as good technicians and being part of the technical team of the Black Stars will help a lot.